Peer-reviewed journal articles
Articles in Peer-Reviewed Journals
* Student author
Google scholar citation counts
52. Rabinowitz, H. S., Savage, H. M., Polissar, P. J., Rowe, C. D. and Kirkpatrick, J. D. (submitted) Multiple shallow seismic faults in the region of the 2011 Tohoku-oki Earthquake.
51. Rowe, C. D., *C. H. Ross, M. T. Swanson, S. Pollock, *N. Backeberg, *N. A. Barshi, *C. E. Bate, *S. Carruthers, *S. Coulson, *K. Daschier-Cousineau, *N. Harrichhausen, *A. F. Pena Castro, *H. Nisbet, *P. Rakoczy, *J. Scibek, *H. Smith, *M. S. Tarling, *A. Timofeev, and E. Young (submitted) Geometric complexity of earthquake rupture surfaces preserved in pseudotachylyte networks.
50. *Phillips, N. J., Rowe, C. D. and Ujiie, K., (submitted) For how long are pseudotachylytes strong? An example of reworked, basalt-hosted pseudotachylytes from a shallow subduction complex.
49. *Harrichhausen, N., Rowe, C. D., Board, W. and Greig, C., (submitted) Role of colloidal transport in the formation of a high- grade gold deposit.
48. Rowe, C. D., *Lamothe, K., *Rempe, M., Andrews, M., Mitchell, T. M., Di Toro, G., and White, J. C. (in revision) Earthquake lubrication and healing explained by amorphous nanosilica
47. Boggs, K. J. E., Aster, R. C., Audet, P., Brunet, G., Clowes, R. M., de Groot-Hedlin, C. D., Donovan, E., Eaton, D. W., Elliott, J., Freymueller, J. T., Hedlin, M. A. H., Hyndman, R. D., James, T. S., Kushner, P. J., Morell, K. D., Rowe, C. D., Schutt, D. L., Sideris, M. G., Ulmi, M., Vernon, F. L., and West, N. (accepted) EON-ROSE and the Canadian Cordillera Array - Building bridges to span Earth System Science in Canada. Geoscience Canada
46. Regalla, C. A., Rowe, C. D., *Harrichhausen, N., *Tarling, M., and *Singh, J. (accepted) Styles of underplating in the Marin Headlands Terrane, Franciscan Complex, California. Geological Society of America Special Papers
45. *Melosh, B. L., Rowe, C. D., Gerbi, C., *Smit, L. and Macey, P., (2018) Seismic cycle feedbacks in a mid-crustal shear zone. Journal of Structural Geology v. 112, 95-111
44. *Backeberg, N. R., Bjorkman, K. E., Rowe, C. D., and Clark, J. R. (2017) Neoarchean supra-subduction gold in Mesoarchean tonalite- granodiorite: Two separate mineralization events at Hammond Reef defined by disseminated and channelized fluid flow. Precambrian Research v. 305, 111-124.
43. *Mundy, E., *Dascher-Cousineau, K., Gleeson, T., Rowe, C. D., and Allen, D. (2016) Complexity of hydrogeologic regime around an ancient low-angle thrust fault revealed by multi-disciplinary field study. Geofluids v. 16, n. 4
42. *Backeberg, N. R., Rowe, C. D., and *Barshi, N. (2016) Alteration weakening leading to localized deformation in a damage aureole adjacent to a dormant shear zone. Journal of Structural Geology v. 90, 144-156
41. *Melosh, B., Rowe, C. D., Gerbi, C., *Bate, C., and *Shulman, D. (2016) The spin zone: Transient mid-crust permeability caused by coseismic brecciation. Journal of Structural Geology v. 87, 47-63.
40. Eckardt, F. D., Cotterill, F. P. D., Flugel, T. J., Kahle, B., McFarlane, M., and Rowe, C. D. (2016) Mapping the surface geomorphology of the Makgadikgadi Rift Zone (MRZ) Quaternary International v. 404 Part B, 115-120.
39. *Tarling, M. and Rowe, C. D. (2016) Experimental slip distribution in lentils as an analog for scaly clay fabrics Geology v. 44, n. 3, 183-186.
38. *Harrichhausen, N., Rowe, C. D., Board, W. and Greig, C. (2016) Structure of a high-grade, electrum-bearing, quartz-carbonate vein stockwork at the Brucejack Deposit, northwestern British Columbia in Geoscience BC Summary of Activities 2015, Geoscience BC, Report 2016-1, p. 127-138. Download from Geoscience BC (6.8 MB)
37. Kimura, G., Ashi, J., Kinoshita, M., Rowe, C. D. and Shelly, D. (2015) Preface for the special issue of "New Perspective of Subduction Zone Earthquakes". Earth, Planets and Space 67 OPEN ACCESS
36. Rowe, C. D. and Griffith, W. A. (2015) Do faults preserve a record of seismic slip: A second opinion. Invited Review, Journal of Structural Geology, v. 78, 1-26. pre-print (3.1 MB) or at JSG website, or as part of a JSG Featured Article Collection
35. Bose, S., Saha, P., Mori, J. J., Rowe, C. D., Ujiie, K., Chester, F. M., Conin, M., Regalla, C., Kameda, J., Toy, V., Kirkpatrick, J., Remitti, F., Moore, J. C., *Wolfson-Schwehr, M., Nakamura, Y. and Gupta, A. (2015) Deformation structures in the frontal prism near the Japan Trench: insight from sandbox models. Journal of Geodynamics 89 29-38.
34. *Rabinowitz, H., Savage, H. M., Plank, T., Polissar, P. J., Kirkpatrick, J. D. and Rowe, C. D. (2015) Multiple major faults at the Japan Trench: Chemostratigraphy of the plate boundary at IODP Exp. 343: JFAST. Earth & Planetary Science Letters 423 57-66. Link to journal
33. Wakabayashi, J. and Rowe, C. D. (2015) Whither the Megathrust? Localization of large-scale subduction slip along the contact of a melange. International Geology Review 57 5-8, 854-870. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/00206814.2015.1020453
32. Kirkpatrick, J., Rowe, C.D., Ujiie, K., Moore, J.C., *Regalla, C.A., Remitti, F., Toy, V., Wolfson-Schwehr, M., Kameda, J., Bose, S., and Chester, F M., (2015) Structure and lithology of the Japan Trench subduction plate boundary fault. Tectonics 34 1 53-69.
31. *Faber, C., Rowe, C. D., Miller, J. A., Fagereng, Å., Neethling, J. H. (2014) Silica gel in a fault slip surface: field evidence for palaeo-earthquakes? Journal of Structural Geology v. 69 108-121. Download pdf (5.7 MB)
30. *Melosh, B. L., Rowe, C. D.,, *Smit, L., *Groenewald, C., *Lambert, C. W., and Macey, P. (2014) Snap, Crackle, Pop: Dilational fault breccias record seismic slip below the brittle-ductile transition. Earth & Planetary Science Letters v. 403 432-445. Download pdf (7.1 MB)
29. Yamaguchi, A., Ishikawa, T., Kato, Y., Nozaki, T., Moore, J. C., Rowe, C. D., Meneghini, F., Tsutsumi, A., and Kimura, G., (2014) Fluid-rock interaction recorded in the black fault rock in the Kodiak accretionary complex, Alaska. Earth, Planets and Space v. 66 n. 58
28. *Backeberg, N. R., Rowe, C. D., van Hinsberg, V. J., and *Bellefroid, E. J. (2014) The deformation history of the Finlayson Lake greenstone belt, Ontario, Canada: A structural perspective on a Mesoarchaean greenstone belt. Precambrian Research v. 249, 100-114 Download pdf (7 MB)
27. Savage, H. M., Polissar, P. J., *Sheppard, R. E., Rowe, C. D. and Brodsky, E. E. (2014) Biomarkers heat up during earthquakes: new evidence of seismic slip in the rock record. Geology v. 42 n. 2 99-102.
26. Fagereng, Å, *Smith, Z., Rowe, C. D. and *Makhubu, B. (2014) Stress, strain, and fault behavior at a thrust ramp: insights from the Naukluft Thrust, Namibia. Journal of Structural Geology v. 58, 95-107
25. Rowe, C.D. (2013) Research Matters 1. Funding for Structural Geology and Tectonics Research in Three Nations. Geoscience Canada v. 40, 366-370. Download pdf (254 kB)
24. Fulton, P. M., Brodsky, E., Kano, Y., Mori, J., Chester, F., Ishikawa, T., Harris, R., Lin, W., Eguchi, N., Toczko, S., and Expedition 343/343T Science Party (2013) Low coseismic friction on the Tohoku-oki fault determined from temperature measurements. Science v. 342 1214-1217
23. Ujiie, K., Tanaka, H., Saito, T., Tsutsumi, A., Mori, J. J., Kameda, J., Brodsky, E., Chester, F. M., Eguchi, N., Toczko, S., and Expedition 343/343T Scientists (2013) Low coseismic friction on the Tohoku megathrust determined from laboratory experiments. Science v. 342 1211-1214
22. Chester, F. M., Rowe, C. D., Ujiie, K., Kirkpatrick, J., Regalla, C., Remitti, F., Moore, J. C., Toy, V., Wolfson-Schwehr, M., Bose, S., Kameda, J., Mori, J. J., Brodsky, E., Eguchi, N., Toczko, S., and Expedition 343 and 343T Scientists (2013) Structure and composition of the plate-boundary slip-zone for the 2011 Tohoku-oki earthquake. Science v. 342 1208-1211
21. Yang, T., Mishima, T., Ujiie, K., Chester, F. M., Mori, J. J., Eguchi, N., Toczko, S., and Expedition 343/343T Scientists (2013) Strain decoupling across the decollement in the region of large slip during the 2011 Tohoku-Oki earthquake from anisotropy of magnetic susceptibility. Earth & Planetary Science Letters v. 381, 31-38.
20. Miller, J. A., *Faber, C., Rowe, C. D., Macey, P. H., and du Plessis, A. (2013) Eastward transport of the Monapo Klippe, northern Mozambique, associated with post-orogenic collapse during the final amalgamation of central Gondwana. Precambrian Research 237 101-115 Download (7.4 MB)
19. Rowe, C. D. (2013) RESEARCH FOCUS - Shaking Loose: Sand volcanoes and Jurassic earthquakes. Geology v. 41 n. 10 1135-1136 Access paper OPEN ACCESS
18. Rowe, C. D., Moore, J. C., Remitti, F., and the IODP Expedition 343 Science Party (2013) The thickness of subduction plate boundary faults from the seafloor into the seismogenic zone. Geology v. 41 n. 9 991-994 PDF from Geology and Download the supplementary material (0.1 MB)
17. Kirkpatrick, J. D., Rowe, C. D., White, J. C. and Brodsky, E. E.
(2013) Silica gel formation during fault slip: Evidence from the rock record.
Geology v. 41 n. 9 1015-1018 Access paper OPEN ACCESS
16. Macey, P. H., Miller, J. A., Rowe, C. D., Grantham, G. H., Siegfried, P., Armstrong, R. A., Kemp, J. N., and Bacalau, J. (2013) Geology of the Monapo Klippe, NE Mozambique and its significance for assembly of central Gondwana. Precambrian Research v. 233 259-281 Download (12 MB)
15. Kirkpatrick, J. D. and Rowe, C. D. (2013) Disappearing ink: How pseudotachylytes are lost from the rock record. Journal of Structural Geology v. 52 183-198 Access paper OPEN ACCESS
14. Lin, W., Conin, M., Moore, J. C., Chester, F. M., Nakamura, Y., Mori, J. M., Anderson, L., Brodsky, E. and Eguchi, N., Expedition 343 Scientists (2013) Stress state in the largest displacement area of the 2011 Tohoku-Oki Earthquake. Science v. 339 n. 6120 687-690
13. *Sherry, T. J., Rowe, C. D., Kirkpatrick, J. D. and Brodsky, E. E. (2012) Dewatering textures in the world's largest exposed injectite complex. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems v. 13, n. 1 doi:10.1029/2012GC004157 Download pdf (4.3MB)
12. Rowe, C. D., Kirkpatrick, J. D. and Brodsky, E. E. (2012) Fault rock injections record paleo-earthquakes. EPSL 335-336 154-166 Download pdf (2.6 MB)
11. Rowe, C. D., Fagereng, Å, Miller, J. A. and Mapani, B. (2012) Signature of coseismic decarbonation in dolomitic fault rocks of the Naukluft Thrust, Namibia. EPSL 333-334 200-210 Download pdf (3.4 MB)
10. Rowe, C. D., Meneghini, F. and Moore, J. C., (2011) Textural record of the seismic cycle: Strain rate variation in an ancient subduction thrust, in Fagereng, Toy and Rowland (eds), Geology of the Earthquake Source: A Volume in Honour of Rick Sibson, Geological Society of London, Special Publication 359, 77-95. Click here to download pdf (1.7 MB) and Geological map supplement (28 MB).
9. Rowe, C. D. and *Backeberg, N. R., (2011) Discussion on: Reconstruction of the Ordovician Pakhuis Ice Sheet, South Africa by H. J. Blignault and J. N. Theron, South African Journal of Geology v. 114, n. 1 p. 95-102 Click here to download(1.22 MB)
8. Rowe, C. D., *Backeberg, N., *van Rensburg, T., *Maclennan, S., *Faber, C., *Curtis, C. and *Viglietti, P. (2010) Structural geology of Robben Island: Implications for the tectonic environment of Saldanian deformation, South African Journal of Geology 113.1 57-72. Click here to download manuscript (1.75MB) and higher resolution Geologic Map (12MB) of Robben Island.
7. Meneghini, F., di Toro, G., Rowe, C.D., Moore, J. C., Tsutsumi, A. and Yamaguchi, A. (2010) Record of mega-earthquakes in subduction thrusts: the black fault rocks of Pasagshak Point (Kodiak Island, Alaska). GSA Bulletin v. 122, no. 7/8, 1280-1297. doi: 10.1130/B30049.1 Click here to download pdf (2.6MB)
6. *Backeberg, N. and Rowe, C. D. (2009) Mega-scale (~50m) Ordovician load casts at de Balie South Africa: sediment fluidization by thermal destabilisation, South African Journal of Geology 112 n.2, 187-196; doi: 10.2113/gssajg.112.2.187 Click here to download pdf (8MB)
5. Rowe, C. D., Meneghini, F. and Moore, J. C. (2009) Fluid-rich damage zone of an ancient out-of-sequence-thrust, Kodiak Islands, Alaska. Tectonics 28 TC1006, doi:10.1029/2007TC002126 Click here to download pdf (4MB)
4. Brodsky, E. E., Rowe, C. D., Meneghini, F., and Moore, J. C. (2009) A geologic fingerprint of extremely low viscosity fault fluids during an earthquake. J. Geophy.Res. 114 B01303, doi: 10.1029/2008JB005633' Click here to download pdf (1MB)
3. Meneghini, F., Marroni, M., Moore, J. C., Pandolfi, L. and Rowe, C. D. (2009) The process of underthrusting and underplating in the geologic record: structural diversity between the Franciscan Complex (California), the Kodiak Complex (Alaska) and the Internal Ligurian Units (Italy). Geological Journal 44 1-27. DOI: 10.1002/gj.1144 Click here to download pdf (1.5MB)
2. Moore, J. Casey, Rowe, C.D., Meneghini, F., (2007) How can Accretionary Prisms Elucidate Seismogenesis in Subduction Zones? in Tim Dixon, Ed., Proceedings from the Seismogenic Zone Theoretical Institute, Snowbird, Utah, March 2003, Columbia University Press Click here to download pdf (1.5MB)
1. Rowe, C. D., Moore, J. C., Meneghini, F., and McKiernan, A. W. (2005) Large-scale pseudotachylytes and fluidized ultracataclasites from an ancient subduction thrust fault. Geology, 33 n. 12 Click here to download pdf (1MB)
Rowe, C. D. (2016) Cover photo. Geology Link
Rowe, C. D. (2013) What Makes a Good Proposal? Reflections on Funding for Structural Geology & Tectonics Research in Three Nations. Invited contribution to Speaking of Geoscience, Guest Blog of the Geological Society of America. Link
Chester, F. M., Mori, J. J., Eguchi, N., Toczko, S., and Expedition 343/343T Scientists (2013) Proceedings of the International Ocean Drilling Program v. 343/343T: Tokyo (Integrated Ocean Drilling Program Management International, Inc.). doi: 10.2204/iodp.proc.343343T.2013 Available Online - Click Here
Chester, F. M., Mori, J. J., Toczko, S., Eguchi, N., and Expedition 343/343T Scientists Integrated Ocean Drilling Program Expedition 343/343T Preliminary Report. doi:10.2204/iodp.pr.343343T.2012 Available Online
Rowe, C.D. and Anderson, L. (2012) A Glimpse of What's Below: Logging While Drilling, Scientific American Guest Blog, April 30, 2012 Link
Rowe, C.D. (2012) Why are there field geologists on a drilling vessel?, Scientific American Guest Blog, April 15, 2012. Link
Rowe, C.D. (2011) Earthquake triggering, and why we don't know where the next big one will strike, Scientific American Guest Blog, March 30, 2011. Link
*Maclennan, S.A. and Rowe, C.D., (unpublished) Kaaimansgat Inlier: A Keystone of the Cape Fold Belt, Geological Society of South Africa, Western Cape Branch End of Year Field Trip, November 29, 2008. Click here to download pdf (8.5MB)
Rowe, C. D. (2007) Comparison between Three Out-of-Sequence Thrusts from Japan and Alaska: Implications for Nankai Drilling Targets from the Rock Record. Scientific Drilling Special Issue No. 1 82-83. Download pdf
And... see lots of our field sites contributed to Outcropedia.org!
Short article in Today (Singapore) about recent earthquakes
Gizmodo interview about recent earthquakes, Nov 22 2016
ScienceDaily News on Tarling & Rowe Lentil Paper
EurekAlert! of AAAS picked up our paper on lentil experiments.
Plonger à la source du tsunami de 2011. Merci à Pauline Gravel du journal Le Devoir pour raconté cette histoire au monde francophone.
Radio Appearance on CBC's "As It Happens". My interview about the JFAST expedition begins at 7:05 in the 3rd segment.
Montreal Gazette story on JFAST Science papers
Kelin Wang's excellent "Perspective" for Science accompanying the JFAST papers.
Smithsonian magazine story on JFAST Science papers
JFAST coverage in US News
Story in Earth Magazine about silica gel on the Corona Fault, San Francisco.
The Geological Society of London Geodigest, Geology Today, picked up our paper on disappearing pseudotachylytes
You may address me as Earthquake Hunter McGill Tribune, Oct. 16, 2012
Pseudotachylites: Fract and Friction by Andrew Alden, Geology Guide at About.com